I've been commissioned to make a new version of the Noah's Ark, this time with a few new additions to the creatures that make it on board. I will be messing with evolution and natural selection and allowing dragons and unicorns on board this time, as requested by the client!
Below is another version I made for a client which is reversible. With the animals 'Arriving Two by Two' on one side and the 'Ark at Sea' on the other
As I mentioned in my previous entry I've been playing around with the idea of making a multi panel world map that can be hung as one piece in multiple different layouts or hung separately as individual continents. This is one version of the finished piece. I have made several different panels, so it can be configured slightly differently but the idea is that you play around with it and move the panels around as the whim takes you!
It's been a lot harder to get the size and layout of the individual maps right and way more work than I originally intended. I thought making a map in multiple parts would give me lots of flexibility but it's also give me the headache of people wanting to buy individual parts and the dilemma of whether or not to split it up!
I've been playing around recently with my world map design and came up with the idea of making a multiple piece map with each continent on a separate canvas. Of course I didn't stop there and have ended up with a world map in 11 parts. The theory is it's more adaptable than a one piece map and can be hung in multiple different configurations, with either Europe, Asia or the Americas in the centre. It can also be hung as one large piece or in groups of individual continents.
I've had fun playing around with the map sizes and layout, but it's very time consuming and labour intensive making 11 separate small pieces instead of just one large one! It took forever to come up with the right size maps to look good fitted together. Now that the bases are all finished I can concentrate on making the features and will post more images when it's done.
Since taking a break from maps to play around in the virtual world and creating my new website, I've had to face reality again, concentrate on the day job and get some serious mapmaking in.
I've had a couple of world map commissions to complete, which has been fun - but now they are safely shipped off, I am running low on the handmade animals I use on the maps and I have been restocking the menagerie of animals.
Below are some pictures of the making process - most of the animals are carved from foamcore board, legs are normally beads and horns, ears and antlers etc are usually butchered parts from plastic flowers and plants (which are an ideal source material for animal extremities)! The tooth picks help to keep my grubby fingers from smudging the paint while I work on the tiny bodies.
And here are some of the birds (and bats) that I've just finished - these are made from beads, wire and paper.
After 15 years of relying on my lovely, but now slightly wonky and very out of date website, I have finally decided it's time for a complete overhaul. To be honest, I've been saying this for the last five years, but I finally sat down over the Christmas break and tackled it head on.
My partner designed my last website and I'm a technophobic dinosaur, better suited to playing with knives and paint brushes than the internet and social media, so I've had to learn all sorts of new tricks to put it together. It's still a little rough around the edges but given that every minute I spend polishing it is a minute away from making maps, I think I've been very disciplined!
Have a look around and let me know what you think. If you spot any errors (and I expect there are lots!) please let me know.